Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
GAMES
View: 5942|Reply: 0

CloudXP——A Revenant's Keeper

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Moderator

Credits
Post time 2021-9-7 17:52:14 | Show all posts |Read mode
In Game ID: CloudXP
Server: Obelisk:

A REVENANT’S KEEPER

Prologue:

As a full moon shone above Levin City, the irate howls of a horde of infected cam be heard descended upon a small patrol group from the Snake Squad near the Train Station. Swarms of infected poured out of the tunnels while they block out the remaining light from the moon. Within minutes, only muzzle fire and the flames served as the sources of light for the mercenaries who are scurrying to find the exit. One by one, they fell to the darkness of the ever growing horde until only a handful of mercenaries remained including two brothers, Cyril and Alphonse. Backed into a wall and left with no choice, Alphonse the younger brother took out a vial containing a flower which illuminated the darkness with a brilliant blue light, and broke it with his hand. Cyril, upon hearing the echoes of broken glass, looked back with horror at the sight of his brother’s transformation.

Alphonse’s Diary  

Week 1:

I am writing this because my brother asked me too. He said that I needed to keep a record of my thoughts so I can monitor the condition of my mind.  I told him I was fine. Apart from the blackout I experienced from the previous night, my sanity is still intact. Of course not everything has been the same. My skin and hair is now pale white and my left eye is now coloured blue. A flower sticks out from my chest and its roots run through my body like veins. I don’t think I will ever get used to this new appearance. I don’t think my brother would too. Every time he looks at me, I feel as though he is looking at an infected. The other comrades who survived last night give me the same look. Like I’m a ticking time bomb that could explode any time. I guess I don’t really mind. I am happy that they’re safe. My only regret is that I did not turn earlier. Had I done so, maybe I could’ve saved all of them.

Week 2:

This new body does come with its quirks. My eyesight seems to have improved quite a bit. I can see further now than ever before… up to three miles further in fact. It’s convenient when spotting threats. That means no unnecessary ambushes. My brother and my team will always be safe as long as I’m around. Apart from my vision, I feel much stronger. I have a greater deal of stamina and speed. I can take out any infected before they even think of touching my team. And just as a bonus, it is satisfying to be able to punch an infected and send them flying away from us. I never knew fighting infected could be this much fun. The cheer from my team really gets me going. If only my brother would celebrate with them. I really wish he’d get rid of the concern from his face every time we have a skirmish

Week 3:

I feel greater than ever! My powers have evolved ever since I turned into a revenant. I can leap great distances now and climb walls and buildings. I feel like a goddamn superhero. I had suggested to my brother that I will take point for the team from now on to eliminate any threats so that they don’t have to risk their lives as much. Plus it saves ammo. Much to my disappointment, my brother just gave me a stern look and said no and that we should stick together. What’s the point? If it prevents casualties then why not?! I’m not doing this for some misplaced desire for glory. I’m doing this for the team! So that they can be safe! My does my brother feel like he needs to keep me on a leash. What is power if you cannot use it to protect the ones you care about?

Week 4:

My brother scolded me repeatedly for breaking formation during skirmishes with the infected at Hero Park. “Stick to our training!” he says. Well brother… maybe it’s time that thing’s changed. Maybe… since we have a revenant on our team, we do things differently… more effectively. We can kill more infected this way! Does he not want revenge for our fallen comrades at the Train Station? They slaughtered them without a moment’s thought. It’s about time we do the same. I don’t want to play with the Squad’s rules anymore. I have transcended humanity so that I can save it! If my brother won’t approve of my methods then I will slaughter the infected myself!

Week 5:

My brother asked the squad for a transfer to Snow Highlands after I repeatedly broke protocols. I did not realize that thinking for myself was such a crime. He says the cold there can slow the effect of the Revenant gene from creeping into my mind. After all this time, my brother still treats me like a petulant child. Well I’m not a child anymore brother! I don’t need your lectures on restraint and discipline. My powers have evolved from the need for such human ideals. I am a god in the making! And your attempts to delay my ascension is what I would deem childish. All this time, you feared me didn’t you? You stopped seeing me as your brother the moment I broke that vial. You probably call me monster behind my back don’t you!? The rest of the squad probably already thinks it. They all look at me with the same fear in their eyes. I SAVED YOU! I SAVED ALL OF YOU! AND THIS IS THE RESPECT YOU GIVE ME!

Week 6:

My brother was right. I am losing myself… I killed five squad members… Damn… how many more were injured? I don’t know what happened… I didn’t mean to… I just blacked out all of a sudden. When I woke up, my brother told me everything… Oh god what I have I become? I swear I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. My comrades… I’m sorry… My brother says he will make things right and assures me that everything will be okay. I’m not so sure anymore. I feel myself slipping into insanity. I don’t think I have enough time anymore. I will leave the camp before I end up hurting any more friends. I’m sorry brother, if you are reading this, this is goodbye.

Cyril’s Diary

Week 1:

I still remember vividly what became of my brother last night. A massive hulk whose body was wide enough to block half the tunnel we were in. His arms and legs were as thick as tree trunks, and huge crystallized rocks protruded from his chest and covered his back like a shell. His howl was terrifying to hear. I could’ve sworn some of the infected even flinched upon hearing it. I did not recognize my brother that night. Yet somehow, I knew he was there. Every attempt from the horde to close in on us was met with a massive swing from my brother’s arms which either crushed them or propelled them back from our position. My team and I could only stand back and watch in awe. My brother was beating back the horde by himself. Eventually, the horde thinned, and my brother fell unconscious soon after. The massive hulk that protected us shrank to size. My comrades took care of the remaining infected with ease. My brother saved us all. I could not have been prouder. Yet that my pride was replaced with worry. My brother was able to protect us, but at the cost of his own humanity. To my relief, when he awoke, he was himself again. I asked him to keep a diary so we can track his thoughts. I pray it will help keep him grounded as the days go by.

Week 2:

We continue to do our patrols as we usually do. Routine may just bring things back to normalcy and quell the growing fears from our squad about my brother becoming a Revenant. I assured them that he is still the same even though I’m not so certain myself. As per routine, we do our patrols with caution and vigilance, careful to not engage unless necessary. What worries me is that brother seems to be enjoying the occasional skirmishes that we engage in. While I am happy that his enthusiasm boosts the team morale, I do not encourage taking pleasure in killing the infected. These were once people after all. Still, my brother is still in high spirits. I just wish he won’t be too reckless in engaging so that he won’t get himself killed.

Week 3:

My brother has become more aggressive in his engagements with the infected. I tell him not to attract unnecessary attention so that we can avoid casualties. He tells me that he just wants to get ahead of us so that he can prevent them from even reaching us. My brother has always been the type to put his life on the line to protect everyone else so I believe his intentions are true. Revenant or not however, he is still my brother and part of the team. I have a duty to protect him as much as he does to me and to the rest of the team. I tell him to stay close and I can see his resentment at my command. I fear that this may be a symptom of his revenant gene.

Week 4:

This week we were assigned to patrol Hero Park. I don’t know if it was the presence of a large number of infected in this area, but my brother seemed to be too eager to engage in fights. I keep telling him to stay in formation and he always gives me this look as if I pulled him away from eating his favourite meal. My brother’s impatience grows as the days go by. It’s as if he is only out to hunt when we do patrols. I tell him that being a revenant does not change his standing in the team. I remember the look of contempt he gave me when I said that. That’s the first time I saw my brother look at me that way. I would be lying if I said it didn’t hurt me seeing him lose respect for me. He always idolized me when we were kids and continued to look up to me even after we joined the Snake Squad. It was an honour and responsibility I carried with me with in every decision I make. I took pride in being an older brother to someone so selfless and protective of his own comrades. But now, it feels as though that brother is fading away.

Week 5:

My brother has abandoned protocol completely to the point of putting his teammates in harm’s way. For the nth time now, he has engaged with large groups of infected which the rest of the team is forced to fight when my brother gets their attention. Things needed t

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list